Sunday, June 12, 2011

Baked French Toast


This is a sweet breakfast that we enjoye all by itself, or on special occasions with our favorite celestial syrup, or as a dessert with some strawberries and ice-cream or whipped cream on top. (sigh) If you need a little love in the kitchen like this, "Mom, this is the GOODEST meal ever!" I suggest you make it as soon as possible.

1 Loaf of French Bread.
Cut into thick two inch slices.

6 eggs
1 c. Milk
1/2 c. Heavy whipping Cream
1 T. Vanilla
1 t. Cinnamon
Mix and pour over bread slices. You can soak this overnight in the fridge (or not!).

1 1/3 c. Brown Sugar
3/4 c. Butter
3 T. Corn Syrup
Bring these three to a boil before pouring it over the soaking bread.

Bake --

Sun Oven
8:30 AM - Set out oven to pre-heat.
9:00 AM - Put in pan.
9:15 AM - Temp check: 350 F. Refocus. (Rotated two inches and dropped the leg two holes.)
9:35 AM - Temp check: 340 F. Refocus. (Dropped leg one hole.)
9:45 AM - Temp check: 349 F. Refocus. Took out, took picture side-by-side conv. oven pan, put back in for 15 more minutes.
10:05 - Take it out and enJoye!

It might have been done 7-10 minutes earlier had I flipped the slices over half-way during cooking like I did with the other pan, this taking into consideration that I had already taken it out, taken pictures and then put it back in to get it a little more crispy, thus losing some of my temp. in that process. I should have at least flipped it when I took the picture, which I didn't. Anyway, it takes about 50-60 minutes. Totally delicious!!! Today my five-year-old prefaced the above praise with, "I'm so glad we have a sun cooker 'cuz.....(see above)!"

Conventional Oven
Preheat to 350. Bake 40-45 minutes. [Bake 25 minutes. Take out and flip slices. Optional: add rest of syrup on top of each slice. Bake 15 more minutes.] So yummy!

All my boys (husband included) would like to have this every day. enJoye!

No comments:

Post a Comment